What are supplementary units?
Supplementary units are used when an additional measurement unit is needed for customs declarations. For example: the quantity of the products as well as the weight in kilograms.
Check if a supplementary unit is required
- Go to the https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/find_commodity website.
- Enter the commodity code into the search field, or enter a goods description and then browse the sections for the required item information.
- The webpage will show if a supplementary unit is required for the commodity code and will show details of the unit required.
- If displayed by section, the supplementary unit is shown in a column, and hovering over the abbreviation will explain the required unit.
How to enter the information into the declaration
- When entering a commodity code, the system will check against the tariff and if a supplementary unit is required, that unit will be displayed.
- If no supplementary unit is required by the tariff for the commodity code, no unit is displayed.
- The statistical quantity, for the supplementary unit specified in the tariff, can then be entered. Only the value is entered as the unit is already inserted.