What are supplementary units?
Supplementary units are used when an additional measurement unit is needed for customs declarations. For example: the quantity of the products as well as the weight in kilograms.
Check if a supplementary unit is required
- Go to the https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/find_commodity website.
- Enter the commodity code into the search field, or enter a goods description and then browse the sections for the required item information.
- The webpage will show if a supplementary unit is required for the commodity code and will show details of the unit required.
- If displayed by section, the supplementary unit is shown in a column, and hovering over the abbreviation will explain the required unit.
How to enter the information into the declaration
- When entering a commodity code, the system will check against the tariff and if a supplementary unit is required, that unit will be displayed.
- If no supplementary unit is required by the tariff for the commodity code, no unit is displayed.
- The statistical quantity, for the supplementary unit specified in the tariff, can then be entered. Only the value is entered as the unit is already inserted.
Please sign in to leave a comment.