You are searching for a suitable commodity code for your export or import declaration? Here you will find what a commodity code is, for what it is necessary and how to find it.
- What is a commodity code?
- For what do I need a commodity code?
- How to find the suitable commodity code?
- What tools and information can I use for search process?
What is a commodity code?
The commodity code is a transcription of goods descriptions to a number-based system. That leads to a common understanding which kind of good is declared without having language barriers.
There is a world-wide understanding of this number-based system called ‘Harmonized System’. The Harmonized System is maintained by the World Customs Organization and applicable in the most countries all over the world. The Harmonized System contains a 6 digit number (HS Code). All member states of the WCO have the right to extend this HS Code according to local needs of details.
In the United Kingdom 8 digits in total will be need for export and 10 digits in total are needed for import.
On the base of the commodity code statistics will be made and duties as well as additional trade measures will be identified.
For what do I need a commodity code?
- To file an export declaration the commodity Code with 8 digits is necessary. According to this commodity code the necessity of having a licence for export needs to be checked. The commodity code is also important for application of reliefs.
- To file an import declaration a 10 digit tariff code is necessary. With this tariff code the respective duties, quotas and additional measures will be applied at stage of import.
How to find the suitable commodity code?
- To find the suitable commodity code there are general rules according to the HS System, which provides you a structured way.
- It is important to know, that only one code can be the right one. And the HS System is structured that way, that it is possible to find for every kind of good a HS Code and the respective national extension.
However, there are some tools in place, which supports you in finding the one correct commodity code.
- The commodity code was also necessary to file INTRASTAT reporting for intra-EU supplies and acquisitions as UK were member of European Union. If your goods were already classified for INTRASTAT reporting use this code for export declarations.
What tools and information can I use for search process?
The applicable tariff for United Kingdom including the respective nomenclature can be found as follows:
How to use this tariff tool and a example how to classify can be find at:
There are some goods, which are hard to classify. Therefore, the UK authorities published some guidelines for e.g. audio and video equipment, electric lamps, footwear, leather, monitors, plastics, textile apparel and many more. The full list and the link to the respective guidelines can be found as follows