- You must first activate hazardous goods management under the carrier: See Understanding and enabling hazardous goods handling.
To manage hazardous goods with Carrier Connect, begin by identifying your package in the shipping order with a specific hazardous goods type. Then create a hazardous goods item and assign it to the hazardous goods package.
Identifying the package
In the shipping order, go to the Packages & Items sheet, select a package in which the hazardous goods are to be transported, then select the appropriate hazardous goods type.
Overview of hazardous goods types
- Hazardous goods
- Limited Quantities (LQ): The term “Limited Quantities” (LQ) comes from hazardous goods regulations and designates hazardous goods packed in limited quantities.
- Excepted Quantities (EQ): “Excepted Quantities (EQ)” are hazardous goods that are excepted from certain ADR hazardous goods regulations during transport due to small packaging units or size.
- Special Substances: “Special Substances” refers to hazardous goods that have special hazardous goods attributes or regulations. If you select “Special Substances” as the hazardous goods type, the special substance must also be indicated separately in the hazardous goods. Special substances include: biological substances, genetically modified organisms, lithium batteries, radioactive substances, dry ice.
- Small Quantity (relevant for US): US DOT rules except “small quantities” of certain hazardous materials from many requirements of the Hazardous Materials Regulations. This is relevant only for the US.
Creating a hazardous goods item and assigning it to a package
As soon as you identify a package with a hazardous goods type, you must enter at least one hazardous goods item and assign it to the hazardous goods package.
- In the shipping order, go to the Packages & Items sheet and open the item that is to contain the hazardous goods. On the Hazardous goods sheet, create the hazardous goods item and enter all the necessary information.
- On the Item sheet, go to Packed items and click New to assign a package.
- “Packing” – that is, assigning a hazardous goods item to a package – is absolutely necessary to ensure that the shipping order data is transmitted correctly in the EDI message.