Goods moving between the EU and GB will be subjected to full customs control starting 1 January 2022. This means all UK ports will have to either operate the temporary storage model (for inventory linked goods) or the pre-lodgement model (for ports operating the Goods Vehicle Movement Service - GVMS). Ports may also operate a mixed mode, where part of the port is inventory linked, whereas another part uses GVMS.
Export and Import declarations for goods moving through GVMS locations must use the transport mode border 6 (multimodal transport) and use the corresponding GVMS location code. Additional information for declarations includes the following:
An additional information code of RRS01 will be required on an export declaration. To add this information, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Customs details tab.
- Under the Additional information section, select RRS01 as the Type. When using CHIEF, no text should be entered. (CDS Exports are not currently supported in customs management).
- Only for goods being shipped under transit: Enter the Additional information Type of TRANS. When using CHIEF, no text should be entered. (CDS Exports are not currently supported in customs management).
Depending on the port, export declarations must be either submitted as arrived or pre-lodged (non-arrived). More information on this can be found at:
Arrived export declarations must be in the 'Released' status before a Goods Movement Record (GMR) can be created, and in the 'Accepted' status for pre-lodged (non-arrived) export declarations. Any corresponding transit declarations must be released beforehand.
- To add the additional code to an import declaration, go to the Customs details tab.
- Under the Additional information section, select RRS01 as the Type.
- If using CHIEF, nothing should be entered in the text field.
- If using CDS, enter the haulier EORI in the text field, or enter the haulier name if the EORI is not known.
Import declarations going through GVMS locations must always be submitted as pre-lodged (non-arrived) and must be in the 'Accepted' status before a Goods Movement Record (GMR) can be created. Any corresponding transit declarations must be released beforehand.
A UK Border helpline is provided by HMRC for questions about border procedures, or if you have freight stuck at the border and don't understand why.
- Hotline number: 0300 322 9434
- Additionally - and only for emergencies - the hotline will also provide out of hours help by selecting option 1 when calling.
More information can be found at: Brexit transition helplines
- Further information can be found at: Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS)