Information on individual CDS error codes can be found via this HMRC website, but to see further details regarding the error message, follow the steps below.
Identify the data element path
Firstly, identify the data element path to search for further information. To do this:
- Select the Customs information tab and go to the Customs messages section.
- Locate the latest message with the type of DMSREJ-CDS and click on it.
- The list of related errors will then the shown in the grid below.
- Double click on the error you wish to investigate. This will then display the full error details.
- Make a note of the data element path shown.
Viewing the MetaData
- Select the DMSDEC-CDS message that the error relates to. This will be the message that was sent to CDS prior to the error being received. In this example, the error was received on DMSREJ-CDS dated 01/02/2022 @9:24, therefore the DMSDEC-CDS message to open is the record before, dated 01/02/2022 @9:24.
- Highlight the correct DMSDEC-CDS message, and click Open.
- Select the Message content tab and expand the MetaData heading.
- Expand the links to follow the data element path noted in the error message.
- Expand the links in sequence i.e. Declaration > GoodsShipment > GovernmentAgencyGoodsItem > AdditionalDocument > TypeCode.
This gives an indication of which declaration data has caused the error. For example, it may be that:
- The error relates to this exact element of data e.g. the Type code of 110 is incorrect.
- There may be something incorrect at a higher level e.g. the additional document is incorrect.
- A combination of different values entered is not allowed.
- Another data element of the document is causing CDS to error all elements of the additional document.
If HMRC request the related DMSDEC and DMSREJ messages are sent to them, see How to download DMSDEC and DMSREJ messages to HMRC.