If you have GVMS configured as part of your AEB software, you will need to grant authority for the AEB software to communicate with GVMS/HMRC on your behalf.
Before authority can be granted, you must:
- Have registered with HMRC to use GVMS using your Government Gateway account. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/register-for-the-goods-vehicle-movement-service
- Have the mobile phone which is registered with the Government Gateway account available, as this will be needed to grant authority for the software to interact with HMRC.
The authority should last 18 months and it will need to be renewed before it expires. To re-authorize, use the same process as below, ensuring that the Government Gateway account used is registered for GVMS. Reminders of when the authority is due to expire can be configured.
Once AEB have confirmed that authority for GVMS can now be granted, the following steps will need to be completed within Customs Management.
Please note: Only users with the I_CLIENTADMIN role will be able to complete the below steps in Customs Management.
How to Grant Authority
- From the Office menu, go to Administration - Customs settings - GVMS.
- Select the client and click Open.
- Click on the Grant authority option, which will open a government website.
- Follow the instructions on GOV.UK to grant authority for AEB to interact with HMRC on your behalf.
- Once completed, return to Customs Management. The Auth. expiration date field should now have a date of expiry. The screen may need to be refreshed for the expiration date to show.
Authority Renewal Reminders
The authority should last for 18 months but it will need to be renewed, using the Government Gateway account that is registered for GVMS, before it expires (using the process above).
To enable a user to receive a reminder when the authority is due to expire, some configuration is required. A person record needs to be created which is linked to your company and to a user with the I_SECURITY_CONTACT_PERSON_GB role so that this user will then receive an email reminding them that the authority will expire in the number of days entered in the Expiration reminder field. For example, if 30 is entered in the reminder field, then any person setup which is linked to a user with the I_SECURITY_CONTACT_PERSON_GB role will receive an email 30 days before the Auth. expiration date.
To create a person record linked to the user (who has the I_SECURITY_CONTACT_PERSON_GB role) follow the steps below:
- From the Office menu, go to Master data > Persons.
- Open the person record, if it already exits, or click New and enter the name and any other details required to create the new person record.
- From the Person menu, select Add user.
- Select the option to Link person to existing user and click Ok.
- Select the required user from the list, and click Apply.
- Next assign the person to a company, if not already done by selecting the Employee in companies tab.
- Click the New button, select your company and click Apply.
- Press Save & close to save the person record.