Number ranges are used in many applications to generate unique identification numbers. In Carrier Connect, they are typically used for tracking numbers. Since identification numbers must be unique, you obtain an initial number range from your carrier and then request new ranges when needed. Identification numbers may not be reused arbitrarily.
The precise format of a tracking number is determined by the carrier.
- Identification or tracking numbers are composed of various alphanumeric characters – part of which is the number range (symbolized below by “N”). The GS1-128 tracking number format, for example, contains a number range indicated in bold: 003XXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNP.
Proceed as follows to edit an existing number range and set up notifications:
- You must have the role of I_CAI_EDITMASTERFILEDATA.
- Make sure that you are not printing any shipping labels for this carrier while you are editing the data.
- Go to Master data – Carrier configurations, open the carrier, and switch to the Accounts tab. Open the account you wish to edit.
- Under Number ranges, click the “+” symbol to generate a new number range with a different abbreviation.
- Enter the start value, maximum value, and character length of your number range.
- Check the Auto. re-start only if this is allowed. The Leading zeros box is important if the number range begins with zeros.
- Under Notification, you can indicate whether you wish to receive an email notification when a specified threshold is reached. This reminds you to request a new number range before the old range runs out. Simply complete the Alert value and Receiver fields.
- Save and close the Number range sheet.
- In the account under Number ranges, select the new number range.
- Close the carrier configuration.