Are you still using a 32-bit operating system for working with ASSIST4 (e.g. Windows 7 32-bit)? AEB will terminate its support for the JAVA PDF module in 32-bit as part of the continuous product development as from February 2023. In this article, you'll learn if this end of support will affect you, and if so, what your options are.
Are you still using ASSIST4 workstations on a 32-bit Windows system?
As from February 2023, AEB will most likely use a new version of the JAVA components for PDF preparation. These components require a 64-bit operating system and can no longer be used with a 32-bit Windows system. This operating system version has not been supported by AEB for ASSIST4 for quite some time. If you are using local PDF preparation via JAVA on such a Windows client, you will need to take action by the beginning of February 2023.
In ASSIST4, there are generally two variants for PDF preparation available to you in the client:
- Variant A: An ASM (Application Service Manager) from AEB or another "Advanced Engine".
- Variant B: A JAVA program running locally on the client, started using Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from the ASSIST4 installation directory.
If you use variant B, you will need to take action by the time February 2023 service pack is rolled out.
The ASSIST4 system will also show you whether you are using variant B and are therefore affected, starting with service pack status 05/2022 when you start the client.
Alternatively, you can query the type of operating system in the Windows system settings:
- Open the Control Panel via the Windows button (formerly Start).
- Now select System in the category view. In the System section, you will get all the information about your operating system, including the Windows version 32-bit or 64-bit under System type.
In the short term, you have the following two options:
- Option 1: You commission AEB to install an ASM on the ASSIST4 server, which handles PDF conversion centrally for all workstations. The software is royalty-free within the scope of use as a PDF converter. The offer includes installation and one-time setup (recommended). – In addition to a Windows server, a database (MS-SQL or Oracle) to be provided according to AEB specifications is required.
- Option 2: You upgrade the outdated operating system of the corresponding client to a 64-bit system. (ASSIST4 remains a pure 32-bit application). Please note the current system requirements.
We would like to remind you of the announcement of end-of-life for ASSIST4 by 2028.
Talk to us about your transformation to the next software generation and we will advise you on your migration.
Contact us now. Simply submit a service request. Click here to submit a request.
Article is closed for comments.